Posted to alt.home.repair
EXT EXT is offline

Default Source of 60hz-ish electrical hum?

First connect wired speakers to your receiver and check for a hum. This is a
common, but tricky to diagnose, problem in audio systems. If your amp has a
hum that is heard through wired speakers, it is a ground loop problem. This
is caused by multiple groundings. Only one source of ground is recommended
as a loop is formed when multiple items are interconnected while plugged
into grounded outlets, this includes the grounded sheath of "cable TV"
cabling. Only the amp should be grounded all other equipment should not be
grounded. A grounded "cable TV" cable may need an isolation device added in
line with the cable.

If you have no hum through wired speakers, then it is the wireless system
picking up the hum or the circuitry is creating the hum.

"Bob M" wrote in message
While trying to connect wireless speakers for the Xmas season I noticed
that
on the receiver end I get a distinct hmmmmmmmm. I tried different plugs
and turned off all the fluorescent lights I could find. Still there.
Also I don't think any appliances and/or chargers were functioning at the
time either.

Can some of you please suggest what other areas I might check?