Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®[_2_] Proctologically Violated©®[_2_] is offline

Default Update: Octagonal bar stock

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

I noticed the bow hairs are attached directly to the board. DAT seems
like a mechanically dicey proposition unto itself. Not as much tension
as on the violin strings themselves, but must be some.

There's some tension all right. We've taken steps to insure the bond
between the board and the frog adapter is a permanent one. At the board
end, the strings are attached to a piezo electric sensor. This is what
feeds back how hard the bow is being pressed against the instrument's
strings.

BTW, didn't you post to a.m.c. a little while back asking what else you
could do with your machining center besides machining? If that was you,
ping me off list, got a link for ya. Tried to email, but got a bounce.

I occasionally speculate on alternative uses for a vmc -- I think the last
was as a tubing bender.
I'm currently working on using the vmc as a microwave oven and friction
welder.
I'll drop you a line.

Your violin gizmo is actually very impressive engineering, mechanically and
electronically. Kudos to you/Mcmillen.

I initially thought it was a teaching/training/practice device, but now I
see it is for synthesizing sound -- presumably in conjunction with standard
guitar-like pickups, but maybe in replacement of. Very inneresting. I'm
sure this took some time to develop/perfect.

--
PV'd

Jon