Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default 6-Pack 6-LED Aluminum Flashlights - Any good?

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:36:40 -0800 (PST), RickH
wrote:

On Dec 1, 3:16*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I just bought this 6 pack of Husky LED flashlights at HD. There's 6
LED's per flashlight, and each one uses 3 AAA batteries, which were
included. 6 flashlights and 18 batteries for $9.97. How could I pass
it up?

I've never used an LED flashlight before and I am amazed at how bright
these things are.

My question: Am I going to remain happy or is there something I don't
know - something like I'm going to get about 10 minutes of battery
life so I'm gonna need to carry all 6 flashlights with me.

Are these things any good?

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...uctDisplay?sto...

The aluminum sounds good to me for that price, I use dollar-store
batteries (I've gotten 24 for a dollar at times) that hold up only
slightly worse than alkalines, so zinc/carbon batteries powering LED's
should be fine.

Unrelated... As for LED's we had a snowstorm here Monday as I commuted
to work. As I came to the LED-based stop-and-go lights all of them
were invisible and caked with snow, wherease the older incandescent
stop-and-go lights were clear of snow. Somebody needs to put heaters
in those new LED-based stop-and-go lights, they are pretty dangerous
in a driving ice or snowstorm, LED's cant melt snow very good I
guess. You would think the traffic companies would know this ****.

I have the same issue with the LED Tail lights on my car. The side
markers are incandecents and defrost themselves, but not the tail and
brakelights. I also don't like the always on "running lights" which
are the high beams on half power. It's just bright enough that several
times I've driven quite a distance without realizing I haven't turned
on the headlights. That also means I'm showing NO lights on the rear.
With everything controlled by computer, why can't they simply make the
running lights stay off when it is dark outside? I think the present
design is quite a hazard. My inexpensive GPS goes to night mode based
on the time for sunset, and returns to daylight mode at sunrise.