Posted to alt.home.repair
Harlan Messinger Harlan Messinger is offline

Default Power drill/driver

Ashton Crusher wrote:
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 13:19:05 -0500, Harlan Messinger
wrote:

I've accepted that my power drill/driver disappeared last year, though
I've still got one battery and the charger. I need to decide what kind
of replacement to get.

Do I need 18V? I assume not. My intended uses are in the home, including
renovation: putting up drywall, mounting cabinet doors. I doubt I'll
want to drill masonry on my own. I also assume I don't want a hammer driver.

Of what's available at Home Depot or Lowe's, what's recommended? What
considerations are there? Some of the products are distinguish from each
other only by features whose usefulness to me I can't ascertain.

I'll throw in a pitch that you consider adding a power screwdriver to
your tool kit, not a "drill" shaped one, but one shaped like a fat
screwdriver. I've been using them for years, my latest one is a
Hitachi and it's got plenty of power, two speeds, fwd-reverse, and
spindle lock so you can also drive manually if need be. Fast battery
charge, something like 45 minutes, came with two batteries. I rarely
use my battery powered drill for driving screws unless it's a really
big job and I want to drive them fast - the drill will drive them
quite a bit faster then the powered screwdriver. But the PS is really
convenient for 95% of the stuff I usually do and much easier to
control to avoid stripping out the head of the screw and gets into
tight areas the drill won't.

The idea seems appealing given that the screwdrivers aren't expensive,
now that I've taken a look at them, and are obviously lighter. Thanks.