John Manders

Default Tablesaw jig idea needed (pickin yer brain...)

"Jon Endres, PE" wrote in message
t...
Hi all,

In conversation with the guy who's building a timberframe house for me, we
were discussing materials for the pegs for the joints. I mentioned that I
had a large white oak tree that had been cut to make room for the
foundation, and if it could be used.

He said yes, to have it cut 5/4 and kiln-dried, and cut into 5/4 x 5/4 x

12
blanks. He suggested making up a jig for the tablesaw such that the blank
could be held in place, indexed and then fed through to produce octagonal
shapes about 1" in least diameter. Basically, cutting an eight-sided

piece
instead of a dowel for increased friction (the frame will be white pine).

Any ideas on how I could rig up a simple yet reliable indexing jig to hold

square blank and turn it into an octagonal (or maybe even 16 sided) peg?

If
I can do that successfully, I'm going to experiment with maybe some locust
or hickory pegs as well.

--
Jon Endres, PE
Reply To: wmengineer (at) adelphia (dot) net

On my table saw, the blade can be tilted to 45 deg. A rip fence and 4 passes
does the job.

John