Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington David Billington is offline

Default metal spinning

LLBrown wrote:
Have any of you gotten into metal spinning? How tough is it to figure out?

How long is a piece of string?, The answer does depend on what you are
planning to try and spin and the material. I started spinning about 9
years ago and got a complete part after about 8 attempts. I learned with
each attempt and did so quickly. I now know the part I was spinning, a
goblet shape with a small base, is quite tricky to start due to the
small base. I was spinning pewter which is very easy to spin. At the
time I had found very little information in print and on the internet,
now there is more available, so I was very much just trying it and
learning.

Some places you might look are http://metalspinningworkshop.com where
you can buy DVDs about learning to spin, he has a forum at
http://metalspinningworkshop.com/forum/upload/index.php but it has been
down since around August and apparently is not going to be operational
again anytime soon which is a shame. I have the first 2 sets and they do
contain good information. Maybe these are available from a library.

http://www.paulwileyspinning.com/Book.html is also good.