Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 6-Pack 6-LED Aluminum Flashlights - Any good?

Yes, I'd bet the desk people have no clue what happened to your light. The
maid, or the maint and repair guy took it home.

AAA cells. I don't really like them, either. They are OK for small light to
carry in the pocket. Wish they would make a short light that took three AA
cells, I'd like that. But, they don't. The Mag long stick light is closest
to find. Harbor Freight used to have lights that took three AA cells in a
row, I got a couple of those. Four or six LED. Good, but not great.

Please replace those carbon D cells once a year, or more often. They tend
to leak. Alkalines last four times as long, if that's a concern.

I've noticed that C cells are the last size remaining. Not sure anyone makes
C flashlights any more. Mag or Kel, maybe. Someone used to make "Anysizers".
I got some. Clamshell that holds a AA cell, and makes it the size of D cell.
C size to D conversion would be useful.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

I *much* prefer the high-output LED flashlights. It's a lot easier to
design a decent reflector for a single small light source. I had a 3-AA
Maglite with a "3W" LED (there's no way it was 3 watts, but it might
have been 1 watt) that I bought on sale a year ago -- one of the best
flashlights I ever had. Alas, I left it in a hotel room a few months
ago, and when I called about it they said they hadn't seen it. It was
still going strong on the original set of alkaline batteries.

I don't understand why so many flashlights use AAA batteries. You give
up too much capacity going from AA to AAA. (maybe they are really in
the battery business)

Just today I bought an Energizer industrial flashlight (model MS2DLED)
that has a single 1W LED, about a 2 inch reflector, and uses 2 D cells.
It has o-rings in all the right places. It should run about forever
on 2 heavy-duty carbon zinc batteries, and they are a lot lighter than
alkalines. I bought it to keep in my truck.

Two or three C cells is the perfect size for a flashlight. It's just
large enough that you won't lose it, and when there's a hurricane or a
blizzard, C-cells are the last size they run out of at the stores.

Bob