Posted to sci.electronics.repair
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default Screw in flourescent light bulbs.

learner wrote:
I agree. Same here. I saw the big sparks and smoke. I changed back to
incandescence. I would not use it even it is free.

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 17:53:16 -0000, "ian field"
wrote:

wrote in message
I only two of them in my house.One in my kitchen and the other one
in my
bathroom, I never turn them off.Just now I was in my kitchen getting me
a ''cold one''.That flourscent light bulb blipped a couple of
times.What
does that suppose to mean?
cuhulin

Maybe a "brown-out" on the power line?

The one I leave on 24/7 usually conspires to fail when I'm out. Common
failure modes are the tube or the mains in reservoir electrolytic,
typically
they start flickering or just go "phutt".

Back in 2003 I saw a 13 watt Osram CFL end its life in bursts of
sparks and smoke through a hole melted in the side of the ballast
container. I called Sylvania/Osram and they offered a replacement free
of charge. I told them no thanks I prefer to not have my home burn
down if another one of these failed while I wasn't present to
disconnect its power source. That scared me away from CFLs for a long
time.

Your lucky in Australia they are in the process of banning incandescent
lamps we wont be able to buy them