Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Can you ID these lathe tools?

"Stupendous Man" wrote in message
Can you ID these lathe tools? I found them in a large box of various lathe
cutting tools.

These are some of a dozen or so, ground from rod stock and honed. I have
no idea what they were made for. They are ground to the centerline and
have no relief angle.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/IMG_0877.jpg

That looks like a D-bit engraving cutter, made mostly for use in pantograph
mills. They were very common before CNC came along. I have a few of them
that came along with a box of miscellaneous tools. I've never found a use
for them.

There are many kinds of D-bit tools; this is just one type. I see that
Trevor suspects they're tapered D-bit reamers. It's possible, but
considering how common these tools once were (look up "D-bit grinder" on
Google), I think it's more likely they're cutters for a pantograph. They
looked the same as tapered reamers.

This one has some pretty serious angles on it and has a very thick
carbide. I can't figure out what carbide-worthy material needs so much
relief.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/IMG_0884.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/IMG_0883.jpg

Ordinary carbide-tipped lathe bits.

This one has a cutting edge about 5 inches long, again no idea what you
would cut with it. It really is a blade more than a single-point, and
agin, zero relief.
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/IMG_0881.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/IMG_0883.jpg
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/d...e/IMG_0880.jpg

I suspect the first and last are single-lip reamers, but I'd have to see it.
The second is just a repeat of one of your lathe bits.

--
Ed Huntress