Posted to alt.home.repair
Ulysses Ulysses is offline

Default Direct Drive vs Belt Drive for New Washer

On Dec 2, 12:53*pm, " wrote:
On Dec 2, 3:23 pm, wrote:

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 20:51:26 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

Ulysses wrote:
Any opinions on which is better for a new washing machine, belt-drive
or direct-drive? In a recent thread we were discussing my old Kenmore
direct-drive washer and how to fix it. I determined it needs a new
motor. I can get a used motor for $45 but who knows how long that
will last. A new motor is about $135 plus shipping. Plus another
$20- $30 for new "dogs" and a new coupler. A new Kenmore large
capacity washer from Sears is $299. The thing is it is a "steel belt
drive" and has a plastic case for the gearbox. I was under the
impresson that direct-drive had pretty much replaced belt drive
washers due to lower maintenance and easier repairs. There must be
some reason why new washers are belt drive. Any reason why a plastic
case on the gearbox is not as good as steel? On a direct-drive it
seems like there would be little stress on the seals and bearings but
I'm not so sure about a plastic box on a belt drive.

$150.00 for parts to repair the direct drive failure vs $6.00 for a new
belt.

Hmm. Let me think...

you forgot you still need the motor.

The coupler is about $27 and usually outlasts the belt about 2 or 3 to
1. And the labour involved is not substantially different.- Hide quoted text -

sears service is the most costly way to get any appliance repaired.

most likely other parts will fail so belt doesnt matter much- Hide quoted text -

The general consensus seems to be that none of them are any good :-|

Well, the motor could fail on any of them. So could the water pump.
So could the gearbox.

Whoever paid $27 for the coupler the price at www.searspartsdirect.com
is only $15.49 and the Agitator Dogs (wasn't that a movie by Quinten
Tarentino?) are $7.99. I found both on eBay for less than $9 total
including shipping. BTW that's for the newer, steel reinforced
coupler.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....

I ended up getting a used motor (had them test it first) for $30 and
the washer works just fine now except it needs new dogs and the
coupler could use replacing. Thanks to everyone who helped and thanks
to others who posted long ago for Google to find. With the direct
drive all that is needed to replace the coupling (or the motor or
water pump or gearbox) is ten thumbs, a flat screwdriver, and a socket
wrench with a long extension. I don't think you could get the
agitator off with vice grips ;-)

The hard part now is to convince my wife she doesn't want a new
washer. Kinda tough this close to Christmas.