Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default CFL lifespan

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:50:39 -0800, "Zoot" wrote:

I've been using CFLs for several years now, and I've found that they have
about the same lifespan as an incandescent bulb, despite claims to the
contrary. Seven year warranty? Whatta joke. I went back to incandescent in a
few places because I got tired of the CFLs burning out.

What are others experiences with CFLs? How long do they last for you?

We had awful results (like, 5 yrs ago?), and gave up on them.
Retrospectively, we suspect:
- Bad product (probably Feit, I don't remember). Not 'Dollar-store'
stuff, but HD 'near the checkout line' sales, so maybe just as
bad.
- Mounted upside down (in open basement fixtures).
- Excessive on/off switching.