Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®[_2_] Proctologically Violated©®[_2_] is offline

Default Update: Octagonal bar stock

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
Carl wrote:

Sounds like an interesting project. I played the cello through high
school an occasionally since, the enlarged frog seems cumbersome.
What have you done to miniaturize the electronics?

I don't play so can't comment. But users seem to be more than willing to
deal with the larger frog in exchange for what the electronics offer. If
you back up to the main page, there's three YouTube videos embedded that
show some of what it will do.

The sum of my involvement is the tension knobs and frog adapters. Given
what all it will do, I think there's already been a lot of
miniaturization! I do have a prototype circuit board, and it is jam
packed with really small surface mount components. Don't think it's
going to get much smaller.

Of course, all this stuff weighs something, which is why the jihad to
reduce weight. I'm not sure where the production models are ending up,
but the violin bows are most weight sensitive and are very close to a
'standard' bow.

Nice knob handle.
But if weight is such a factor, why not eliminate most of the OD altogether,
and provide turning torque like a wingnut, with two ears at the end?
Less elegant, f'sure, but also much lighter. And not as easy to make.

How much of the $3995 is for your knob?

--
PV'd

Jon