Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Gary Heston Gary Heston is offline

Default Are name-brand low-energy fluorescent "Green" bulbs any brighter than store brand?

In article ,
Don Klipstein wrote:
[ ... ]
Many of us now use CFLs rated at 10k hrs mean life, so many of them
will go on to well over 10k. Using your figures and extrapolating
wildly, at 15k hrs they will have lost somewhere vaguely in the region
of 50% output. Not that bad in most cases, but yes big drop.

[ ... ]

FYI, within the last 5-6 weeks I noticed one of my porch lights was
blinking on and off--a GE FLB17 16w CF with external envelope--and
had to swap it out.

That light had been in near-continuous operation since about 1993 or
1994. It was out on Halloween nights and during a few power failures.

Calculator tells me that's over 120,000 hours. It's output had faded
quite a bit (the 75W incandescent I replaced it with was _much_
brighter--and lasted less than a month) but it was still adequate.

I'll be looking for some more of those...

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man"
General of the Army (four stars) Ann Dunwoody