Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Replace Porch Light Bulbs - too high. Is there a trick to this?

"jch" wrote in
:

The house I just moved into has a tall (two story) front entrance with
a porch light suspended by a chain and hanging about 11ft off the
ground. It has three candelabra lights and two of them are burnt out.
My standard step ladder is too short and I have no way to reach the
fixture. The fixture is open at the bottom but only about 5" in
diameter and the bottom has a base that holds the light sockets and
looks as though it could swing freely within the overall glass
enclosure. Is there some trick to replacing the bulbs in these
fixtures? If not then what a poor design this is to require such a
tall step ladder to get to it. The bulbs are oriented pointing up (ie
base down) so I can't use a pole and attachment to unscrew the bulbs
from below. I've never had a porchlight like this and wonder what the
trick is.

Is there a pair of posts nearby? If you are that lucky, you may be able to
use a stepladder to temporarily put a long 2x4 between the posts so you can
put an extension ladder on the 2x4. Should this be an option, be careful.
Depending on the length of the 2x4, it could snap in the middle under
certain conditions like height of cross, your weight, bouncing and
especially if there's a knot or defect. You could double up screwing 2x4 to
posts then another 2x4 to the first. No extension anyway ladder right?

An 8' should give the avg max safe work height of 12'. 8 footers are not
that expensive new. Often on sale. Once you go to 10', prices jump at a
steeper rate. Pop for the ladder. Bulbs are gonna blow as long as the light
works. You'll find other uses for it anyway. Make sure you get the right
ladder rating for your weight.

Third option is to mooch from new neighbor.