Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Gordon Gordon is offline

Default Are name-brand low-energy fluorescent "Green" bulbs any brighter than store brand?

ransley wrote in news:d561851d-4d86-414b-8cba-
:

Heat is what kills the ballast, as long as they are not
sealed in an enclosure they last.

Picking up on that thread...
I recently had to buy two CFLs for a pair of enclosed outdoor
fixtures. Most of the general use CFLs that I found were
not suitable. Right on the ballast they stated "Not for
use in an enclosed fixture". A few even stated that they
would not start up at cold temps. I finally found a pair
that didn't have the warning, and actually stated the
startup temperature on the package.