Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Are name-brand low-energy fluorescent "Green" bulbs any brighter than store brand?

ransley wrote:
On Nov 30, 10:43 am, Siskuwihane wrote:
On Nov 30, 9:35 am, ransley wrote:

On Nov 29, 5:28 am, Doc wrote:

Just got a 4-pack of the Walmart "Great Value" version of these
energy- saver style fluorescent 23w bulbs which they claim are
equivalent to a 100w incandescent bulb. Not even close. It's about
like a 40w bulb.

Are the name brand bulbs of this type any better?

If its not bright as 100w incandesant return it, Popular Mechanics
rated them years ago, its still online but hard to find, I think in
the Home section, Consumer reports did a test. I use HD soft white,
I get a 9w that equals 40w for about 1$. The HD bulbs rated Better
than incandesant for color at Pop mech, such as how it colors your
skin. I have 60 in use and failure after 1.5 years with many in
commercial use is maybe 2. Heat is what kills the ballast, as long
as they are not sealed in an enclosure they last.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...t/4215199.html

How do you post links here, I always recomend them but dont know how to post them.

Cut them off the browser address box and paste them into the post.

That doesnt always work, particularly with sites that have a session id but it does work for many sites.