Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nmbexcuse@hotmail.com is offline

Default Is it possible to pass a 2" PVC drain pipe under the slab?

On Dec 1, 1:38*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 02:15:30 -0500, "MiamiCuse"
wrote:

How did you attach the garden hose? *Did you do a 2" to 3/4" female adaptor
and connect the hose to that?

Yep I used a brass 3/4 NPT to hose adapter, just so I could reuse it.
The PVC parts are going to be trash.

The problem I see is since the hole in my slab is about 40" wide, and I need
to span a 7' space under, I will not be able to put all 7' of pipe in the
right position (under slab and pitching up) to start with. *I will have to
do 4' of it and then once all 4' are in, I will then have to take it all
apart, then glue a 2" coupler, then glue another 3' of pipe and reconnect
everything and continue again.

That should work, just cut the pipe a few inches from the elbow so you
have some pipe to glue to and splice in the extra pipe. With only 4'
in the ground you should be able to get it going again.
When you get it through cut off all the extra stuff and hook up your
riser for the sink and the lateral to the sewer. Just be sure to keep
it pitching down.
Here is a picture of the actual drill head I used, notice I left a
stub of pipe for another coupling, in case I need it again.

BTW a cable saw is the easiest way to cut a pipe in a hole but a piece
of nylon string will usually work.

http://esteroriverheights.com/electrical/drill_head.jpg

That looks good. I think I will do the same. I wonder if instead of
a 2" cap, I go from a 2" to a 1-1/4" reducer then from 1-1/4" to a
3/4" reducer with a 3/4" cap. Drill a hole at the end of the 3/4"
cap, and three holes like you have it on the 2" side wall, whether it
will make the drilling easier since it will be a "sharper" drill, or
may be it will not.

Here is a picture of my layout:

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w.../trenching.jpg

On the upper right corner you can see the magenta shaded area that is
the area the slab is currently opened and assessible. The thick blue
lines are the finished PVC drain configuration for that bathroom.

Further south is a 4' wide hallway then the kitchen. Inside the
kitchen is a 7' 6" long narrow trench about 4" wide also cut open.
The southern tip of that trench is where the 2" drain needs to
starts. There is no way I can start from the kitchen side. I have to
start from the bathroom side and go at a 45 degree angle and pass
through the narrow trench on the kitchen side, and there I will put in
a riser to vent and tie into a pipe that will run south to the
island.. The good news is I know what height that pipe needs to be at
on the bathroom side, it has to be at least higher than the 4" drain
right there. The bad news is I cannot see how I can maintain a pitch
up as I push through so it ends at a particular elevation when it
emerges under the narrow trench. Seems it would be very tricky and I
might end up just below the slab leaving no room for the 7' 6" run to
go "down".

I guess my question is, once you make it all the way through and can
see the pipe on both sides, is there any chance there may be room in
the sand you can "finess" the elevations of the pipe by moving back
and forth to arrive at a more desirable pitch? My common sense tells
me no not for something as big as 2"?

Thanks!