Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Klipstein Don Klipstein is offline

Default CFL lifespan

In article , Zoot wrote:
I've been using CFLs for several years now, and I've found that they have
about the same lifespan as an incandescent bulb, despite claims to the
contrary. Seven year warranty? Whatta joke. I went back to incandescent in a
few places because I got tired of the CFLs burning out.

What are others experiences with CFLs? How long do they last for you?

They last long in my experience. With the following exceptions, most of
which can be avoided, most of the ones burning out on me have given
3,500-4,000 hours of service first.

Now, for the ones dying young:

1. All too many Lights of America ones. (I have purchased only one since
2002 as a result, and it is a 13 watt spiral - and it flickers once warmed
up when used in a ceiling light fixture.)

2. GE spirals from around 2001-2002 of wattage 25 watts. I think there
was a bad run around then of that wattage. I also had a L.O.A. 25-watt
spiral from that time, and it was one of my many L.O.A. early failures.

3. One of the 7 13 watt Sylvania spirals I have used died prematurely in
a ceiling fan fixture. Another developed a bad connection after about
3,500 hours in a small enclosed fixture.

4. The stool specimens that dollar stores and their suppliers call
"energy saving bulbs" have a significant rate of dying young and/or
spectacularly in my experience, along with a 100% rate of falling short of
their claimed light output.

5. Many CFLs, especially over 23 watts, overheat easily in recessed
ceiling fixtures, other downlights, and small enclosed fixtures.

6. Most are not rated for use with dimmers.

By-and-large, a CFL is more likely to give good long life if it is of
one of the "Big 3" brands (GE, Sylvania or Philips), and/or if it has the
Energy Star logo.

- Don Klipstein )