Posted to alt.home.repair
jch[_3_] jch[_3_] is offline

Default Replace Porch Light Bulbs - too high. Is there a trick to this?

The house I just moved into has a tall (two story) front entrance with a
porch light suspended by a chain and hanging about 11ft off the ground. It
has three candelabra lights and two of them are burnt out. My standard step
ladder is too short and I have no way to reach the fixture. The fixture is
open at the bottom but only about 5" in diameter and the bottom has a base
that holds the light sockets and looks as though it could swing freely
within the overall glass enclosure. Is there some trick to replacing the
bulbs in these fixtures? If not then what a poor design this is to require
such a tall step ladder to get to it. The bulbs are oriented pointing up
(ie base down) so I can't use a pole and attachment to unscrew the bulbs
from below. I've never had a porchlight like this and wonder what the trick
is.