Posted to alt.home.repair
Zyp Zyp is offline

Default what do I do with a 22 long rife bullet that did not fire

Andy Asberry wrote:
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 07:22:22 -0500, Ernie Willson
wrote:

It will do just what Harry K says. It will pop and the case will blow
backwards a short distance. I've done this many times.

EJ in NJ

Kevin wrote:
Huh?

This true? Toss a 22LR into a fire, and it will not fire?

"Harry K" wrote in message
On Nov 24, 1:16 pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Works for me. They aren't all that dangerous, unless you dispose
of them in
a fire.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"HeyBub" wrote in message

m...

Kevin wrote:
a bit off topic...
What should I do with those "dud" 22 long rifle cartridges/bullets
that do not fire? I usually try to fire them a 2nd or 3rd time,
but sometimes they don't fire. So I have this cartridge with
bullet intact with 2 or 3 dents in the rim that I hate to just
toss out in the pasture.
Trash can.

They aren't even dangerous if you throw them in a fire. The case
will split, the bullet will just lay there. Case may move a few
inches.

Harry K

When I was a kid many years ago, we would stick 22 shells in the mud
by stock tanks. Back off a ways and shoot them with BB guns. The cases
would go singing. I don't know if they split. I never found one.

Perhaps in an open fire they just lay there but with a half inch of
mud acting as a barrel, they go flying.

You can use a "bullet puller." It's a simple device used by [reloaders.]
It consists of a hammer that at one end has a compression fitting where you
insert the bullet. By 'hammering' the tool, the bullet is separated from
it's casing without firing, thus rendering the bullet harmless.

--
Zyp