Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Plumbing Repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

sherry wrote:

Someone suggested using an automobile flex hose held on with clamps
instead of the standard rigid PVC U-trap. This is for the drain
pipe under the laundry sink. Will this work? We can't use the
washer until have an answer and a reason why it would/wouldn't
work. Thanks for any reply.

Sure. I assume you're talking about a smooth-interior hose.

I would think the ripple-ribbed hoses would tend to trap debris. On
the plus side, it should be easy to remove the trap and clean it
out...

The washing machine we bought last year had a ribbed section on the
far end of the manufacturer supplied drain hose so it could be be
bent to suit the angle of the drain pipe it empties into.

No problems with trapped debris so far.

Well, yeah. Mine does too. But washing machines have filters so chicken
bones and diamond rings don't get in the pump.