Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default Sony F500R CRT

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 06:54:17 -0800, wrote:

Ever since, when I power on the monitor, the brightness is overdriven
and I cannot get a pure black level. If I set the brightness to zero it's
pretty close. After about ten minutes the brightness decreases rather
rapidly, and I have to manually adjust it back upwards to achieve a
proper black level, and it stays fine until it's powered off again, and
I have to repeat the same cycle all over again.

If anything, the auto restore should fix any brightness problems, not
cause them.

This behavior is normal for Sony monitors. Every single one I've seen
starts out overly bright, but settles down after about 10 minutes.
When fully warmed up, the brightness should need to be set to around
30 if everything is working correctly. The easiest way to set the
brightness is to open a full screen DOS box, and adjust it so that the
raster lines in the black area are just slightly visible in a dark
room.
Andy Cuffe