Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default About finding stuff in the shop; Real machinists need pay no attention.

In article ,
spaco wrote:

I don't have a very big shop, but I spend 'way too much time looking
around for this or that tool when I need it.

IF you can put the time into it, making the sorts of "fitted/outline"
storage boards for tools really helps, and grouping the tools on
boards/in drawers in a way that makes sense (to you, anyway). The fitted
or outlined storage makes it more obvious when something is NOT where
it's supposed to be, and IF you can make a part of your routine to check
for that and fix it before you leave the shop (when you will hopefully
still recall where you might have put the thing that's not "in it's
place") it eventually falls into a routine.

Those are big IFs if you don't naturally operate that way. I don't. But
I try to, because the various school/college shops I've worked in that
were organized that way were fairly pleasant to work in, and buying
three of something because you can't find the one you have (twice) is
annoying.

ie, the old Shaker maxim - "A place for everything and everything in
it's place"

It takes time, but it also saves time. As does organizing your stock
storage.