Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Saw Blades And HSS References

Thanks, Ed. I was interested in what you're perspective would be. I saw a
Starrett Redline 18" power hacksaw blade advertised as HSS (though not
specifically stated as solid HSS), about $22 each US, at Ace Hardware's
online store.

Power hacksaw blade duty is a long way from a flexing bandsaw blade, and
Starrett makes the claim that their Redline bandsaw blades are also HSS.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message

snip

I'd like to see an example of a solid HSS saw blade. The only ones I'm
aware of are slitting blades (small like a Dremel saw, or larger like a
slitting blade typically for use on a mill).
And when they are flexed, they snap, which is my primary point.

I have two boxes of Sandvik HSS power hacksaw blades here, HSS through and
through, but they're quite thick and they're not expected to flex in
service. However, they do flex somewhat -- I don't know how much because
I've never broken one. But they are a bit bendy.

It may be they're tempered differently for use as a sawblade than they are
for a lathe cutting tool.

--
Ed Huntress