Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living
ransley ransley is offline

Default Are name-brand low-energy fluorescent "Green" bulbs any brighterthan store brand?

On Nov 30, 10:43*am, Siskuwihane wrote:
On Nov 30, 9:35*am, ransley wrote:

On Nov 29, 5:28*am, Doc wrote:

Just got a 4-pack of the Walmart "Great Value" version of these energy-
saver style fluorescent 23w bulbs which they claim are equivalent to a
100w incandescent bulb. Not even close. It's about like a 40w bulb.

Are the name brand bulbs of this type any better?

If its not bright as 100w incandesant return it, Popular Mechanics
rated them years ago, its still online but hard to find, I think in
the Home section, Consumer reports did a test. I use HD soft white, I
get a 9w that equals 40w for about 1$. The HD bulbs rated Better than
incandesant for color at Pop mech, such as how it colors your skin. I
have 60 in use and failure after 1.5 years with many in commercial use
is maybe 2. Heat is what kills the ballast, as long as they are not
sealed in an enclosure they last.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home...nt/4215199...- Hide quoted text -

How do you post links here, I always recomend them but dont know how
to post them.