Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Is it really worth saving any more?

On Nov 30, 8:34 pm, Robatoy wrote:

Hell, even Carter got a few things right....even though I can't come
up with anything just now...

I can't think of any myself

NIXON did a few things.... okay..can't
think of anything there either...

Finally got us out of Indochina.

Ended the draft.

Drafted and signed the first nuclear limitation treaty with Russia
(the SALT treaty).

Opened the first American dialogue with the Chinese (a communist!)
government.

Created the EPA.

Sent the brilliant Henry Kissinger to the middle east to get Egypt,
Syria and Israel to stop fighting. He was successful.

Then... in an unprecedented case of believing one's own bull****
combined with a stew of paranoia, arrogance, and stupidity, he got
involved in Watergate. He will be remembered for nothing else. In
many ways, I think Nixon was a terribly warped man.

I'm sorry, but I'm still in awe of Reagan.... yea yea yea.. he wasn't
perfect either... but he was COOL!

Why be sorry? He was waaaay cool. He was far from perfect, (kinda
like the rest of us...) but he was the right guy at the right place at
the right time. The lefties were in tears as they thought he was too
conservative, and the righties thought he wasn't conservative enough.

After all the years of the country joyfully tearing itself to pieces,
it was neat to be "proud to be an American" again. IIRC, when he ran
for re-election, he was so popular with the public he only lost one
state in the Union.

Sadly, I don't think we will ever see the likes of him again.

Robert