Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
matthew maguire[_2_] matthew maguire[_2_] is offline

Default Saw Blades And HSS References

Wild_Bill wrote:

Never considered the subject???

(snip)
Springs should not, and aren't usually made from brittle materials,
because they wouldn't serve their purpose.

Springs (old days) = AISI 1050R to 1090, and can be tempered from
tough(30-45Rc) to brittle (45-60Rc). Leaf springs are often in the 45 to
50 range). Yield and tensile are essentially the same as quenched.

Modern, commonly available, general use hacksaw blades are typically a
softer/mild steel back material with a hardened tooth area (generally a
welded section added to the mild steel back material by continuous
welding).

I'll have to check my ASM lit, (I just have the HT lit at home), for
materials commonly used for hack/band saw blades.

But it's highly unlikely that the hard tooth section is actually HSS, as
HSS does not bend.

(snip)

I don't know if HSS can be combined with high carbon steel to create a
HSS alloy,

You'd be right, different melt point, molecule (face/cubic centered),
different structure, etc. etc. It would be near impossible to join by
fusion weld.

I strongly suspect that the concept of HSS bandsaw blades (or any other
flexible HSS blade) was created in a marketing department or firm.

Probably right, the Bi-metal is more likely done using one of the "S" or
"H" type tool steels.

Matt