Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hand tools: any reason to bother with imperial, and what brandsare "quality"?

wrote:
oh wrote:

After having had pinched from me a toolbox with a mix of metric/imperial
socket tools/ wrenches, spanners etc., I need to go shopping again. I'm
a very long way from the nearest physical B&Q/Homebase/Halfords/Screwfix
I'm afraid so I'll probably do the on-line thing, although it is hard
buying tools unseen ;-) ... I'm Scandinavian so not totally au-fait with
UK DIY, and most of my old tools were bought ~20 years ago...

I like decent tools to I'm a bit skeptic about things like a Screwfix
"Tool chest 235 pieces" for �63.61, particularly when it's half-full of
imperial tool sizes. Having a 2-year old house, 1998 car and a German
yacht, I doubt I will see an imperial sized screw very often. However I
could be wrong, so my first question is: are imperial sized nuts and
bolts and stuff something that still are in common use, or did they die
out together with the shillings?

Looking at various on-line cataloges, there are names like Draper and
Laser that ring bells, and Famex has an interesting kit for �150. Does
anyone know if these are the quality names I think they are, or should I
save a few pounds and get the more generic tools from Toolstation,
Screwfix etc.?

I'm leaning on around �150 for a well-stocked 1/2" socket set, torque
wrench and full spanner set. Pointers to good on-line vendors than the
usual big ones would also be very welcome!

Thanks in advance!!!

Sounds like you've answered your own question -you've probably got
nothing likely to need imperial tools. I dont often use mine these
days.

NT

Cant help re brands, I've used all sorts of different makes and not
experiecesd too much difference so far. With your budget I'd
definitely not limit myself to 1/2" sockets, they don't do all jobs. I
find a 3/4" set quite useful on occasion, and theyre not that
expensive. Also a little quarter inch set sees occasional use for tiny
stuff, and they cost peanuts.

There are also a couple of oddities that are handy to have: the main
one being parallel pliers. For a decent set of tools these unusual
things are amust hahve imho.

some of this may be useful too:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?title=Spanner

NT