Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hand tools: any reason to bother with imperial, and what brandsare "quality"?

oh wrote:
After having had pinched from me a toolbox with a mix of metric/imperial
socket tools/ wrenches, spanners etc., I need to go shopping again. I'm
a very long way from the nearest physical B&Q/Homebase/Halfords/Screwfix
I'm afraid so I'll probably do the on-line thing, although it is hard
buying tools unseen ;-) ... I'm Scandinavian so not totally au-fait with
UK DIY, and most of my old tools were bought ~20 years ago...

I like decent tools to I'm a bit skeptic about things like a Screwfix
"Tool chest 235 pieces" for �63.61, particularly when it's half-full of
imperial tool sizes. Having a 2-year old house, 1998 car and a German
yacht, I doubt I will see an imperial sized screw very often. However I
could be wrong, so my first question is: are imperial sized nuts and
bolts and stuff something that still are in common use, or did they die
out together with the shillings?

Looking at various on-line cataloges, there are names like Draper and
Laser that ring bells, and Famex has an interesting kit for �150. Does
anyone know if these are the quality names I think they are, or should I
save a few pounds and get the more generic tools from Toolstation,
Screwfix etc.?

I'm leaning on around �150 for a well-stocked 1/2" socket set, torque
wrench and full spanner set. Pointers to good on-line vendors than the
usual big ones would also be very welcome!

Thanks in advance!!!

Sounds like you've answered your own question -you've probably got
nothing likely to need imperial tools. I dont often use mine these
days.

NT