Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default OT paint car hood

Thanks, Kevin, now that you mentioned it, I seem to have a vague
recollection of that type of music collecting program.

I think what I'm remembering was that it may have been mentioned in a PBS
documentary about the large influx of Scotch-Irish immigrants into the
remote areas of Applachia (Peter Coyote narrating, one of many documentary
narrations), to collect the Celtic folk/folklore music they brought with
them, that later sorta morphed into the early American bluegrass music that
we recognize today.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"axolotl" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 07:51:29 -0500, "Wild_Bill"

I was amazed that some of the original recordings survived long enough to
be duplicated.

Someone needed to take the initiative to make the trips to some backwoods
Mississippi Delta area

) Direct to wax recordings were done without electricity for years -
) just like a gramophone .

Many of the original music recordings were courtesy of the federal
government WPA-like arts programs in the '30s. John Lomax and his wife
traveled in the South collecting "American Folk Music" for the Library of
Congress. My grandparents were recorded. The recordings are available from
the Library of Congress if you can show no copyright problems with the
performers. My Dad told me that the disc cutter was powered by the battery
in the Lomax's sedan. There is no indication of a syncronous motor in the
recordings; the speed is all over the place.

Kevin Gallimore

News==----
http://www.pronews.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups