Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Saw Blades And HSS References

Thanks for your input, John. I have seen blade manufacturers state that
their blades are HSS, and often label them as HSS, but I'm not aware that
any version of HSS is soft enough to flex.

Because a package states that a blade is HSS isn't convincing to me.

A commonly available HSS in it's annealed state is the shank section of HSS
twist drills. In the annealed state HSS doesn't make a good cutting tool for
metalworking.
I'm fairly certain that the annealed shank of a drill or reamer wouldn't
bend before breaking, such as a Cleveland or other quality genuine HSS
drill, not HFeuroasia-somewhere cheese steel.

I wonder how many HSMs have found a way to bend or reshape a HSS drill or
reamer shank.

I would suggest that solid HSS hacksaw blades would not flex before
snapping.

A solid HSS hacksaw blade would have the brittle characteristics of a HSS
cutoff/parting blade/tool, with the extra fragility of having tooth gullets
ground into the edge.
Or why wouldn't it?

I can't recall ever hearing of a problem where a cutoff/parting tool became
bent.. they either snap (or chip) or they don't.

You might be implying that a 100+ inch length (of thin cross-section or any
other shape) of solid HSS could be formed into a circle to form a bandsaw
blade, then tensioned and run continuously in a loop, while applying
pressure to the blade edge.

I just wonder how you accept that this is logical, that's all.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"John Martin" wrote in message
On Nov 30, 11:46 pm, "Wild_Bill" wrote:
I'm wondering if someone can disprove or absolutely confirm that saw
blades
do not consist of HSS.

The term Bimetal or bi-metal doesn't absolutely mean that a blade consists
partly of HSS, or that a blade could.

Typically, all saw blades are bimetal, since the blade backing section is
somewhat mild steel, and the tooth section is high carbon steel
continuously
welded along the length of the blade (including hole saws).

Envision a coping saw blade (tooth section) welded to a steel backing
section that makes up the overall width of the blade, such as a hacksaw,
bandsaw or hole saw blade. When the paint is removed from some new saw
blades, this is evident.

The little knowlege that I'm certain of concerning HSS is that;
1. it doesn't bend (or flex repeatedly)
2. it can't be filed with an ordinary file

When I see references to HSS saw blades, it sounds like a crock to me,
although these references are common.

--
WB
metalworking projectswww.kwagmire.com/metal_proj.html

I guess I can disprove it, Bill.

I have hack saw blades that are solid HSS. I have hack saw blades
that are bi-metal - HSS edge with alloy or carbon steel back. And I
have hack saw blades that are solid carbon steel.

I have band saw blades that are bi-metal. I have band saw blades that
are solid carbon steel - same steel from teeth to back. I don't
happen to have any solid HSS band saw blades, but they are made.

I have circular saws that are solid HSS. I have circular saws that
are solid carbon or alloy steel. I don't recall seeing any bi-metal
circular saws, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

There are bi-metal hole saws, and solid carbon or alloy steel hole
saws.

Coping saws, hand saws and other human-powered woodworking saws are
typically carbon steel, but who knows what might be available?

You are correct that The term Bimetal or bi-metal doesn't absolutely
mean that a blade consists partly of HSS, or that a blade could. But
if you check those that are available, you'll find that that is
exactly what they are.

All saw blades are not bi-metal. As I've listed, some are, but others
are solid HSS or solid carbon or alloy steel.

Your knowledge concerning HSS is a bit off too, I'm afraid. It can
flex, and it can be filed. Not in the fully hardened state, maybe,
and not as well as some other steels, maybe, but it can.

John Martin