Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT -- A Car Wreck Made in Washington - Can Democrats afford to let Detroit succeed?

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 18:52:47 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:09:06 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

If you caught this from another thread, I live in the center of a
township
that's 18% Asian Indian, the highest percentage in the US by a factor of
two. Most of the early ones were upper-caste professionals. They're most
of
the doctors around here now. And it seems that a lot of the
professionals
are Muslims, who make up only 18% of India's population. Interesting.

Yes, interesting. What do you make of it?

I dunno, I've never inquired. I've always assumed it was the
extended-family
thing: one comes over, then the family follows, etc. I also have no idea
what they found so attractive about this community. My little town has
very
few Indians, but the surrounding township is loaded with them. It probably
was where they ran out of gas when they left Newark Airport. Like Bob
Dylan
when he headed west -- "Goodbye, New York, howdy, East Orange."

I can handle the first assumption but come up rather dry on the
latter.

And the connection I was referring to was not concerning a legal alien
family, but was about the "high-caste/Muslim/Doctor thing", sir.

I started on that and then got off-track. g I don't know if it's because
the doctors are Muslim, or if the early Indian doctors here happened to be
Muslim. That's what the family thing was intended to be about.

--
Ed Huntress