Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Chandler Jim Chandler is offline

Default Target Acquired !

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 16:15:58 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Brian Lawson wrote:
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 07:45:51 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
The local property management businesses are screaming for AC
security devices ...

I don't think that I've ever seen a security device on an AC.
Unless I saw it & didn't know what it was. What are they & why do
AC's need them?
Bob

What I was talking about is a square tube steel cage around a window
or condenser unit . These are a prime target for thieves here - my
former employer had three stolen off the roof of his business in one
night .

Hey Terry,

I may have a different impression of what you consider "A/C Security
Devices". Around here, they are not so much to protect an A/C unit
from being stolen as they are to provide a proper "lock" so the perps
can't push or pull it out of the proper sleeve or the window install
kit and gain access to the interior of a property. I'm not saying the
A/C unit has no value, but the prime problem is one of using it to
gain entry. In any given area, only so many people can be noted
carrying off an A/C without suspicion. Every property without proper
protection is subject to loss of other things, either smaller and more
valuable property, or of "health", from an illegal entry. Very
popular way to grab everything in sight is to gain entry and look
around for what's valuable, pile it up in place for a quick load-out,
back up a truck and then open a proper access door of the property and
vamoose. Gone in minutes. One thing alarm companies don't do often
enough is to look at the situation as though it was a window or door
and suggest a sensor on the A/C.

Take care.

Brian Lawson.

Good points , and I have taken these into consideration . I'm going to be
talking to property management companies this week , at the suggestion of a
former coworker and friend of mine . He has been installing security cages
(he works for a PM company) around condenser units , as they are a target of
thieves around here - I might already have two sold , he'll let me know
tomorrow . They also like to steal the window units , along with gaining
access thru the now-empty window . A cage to protect the unit can also deter
entrance ... even if they push the unit out of the window .
And in the middle of the night , there aren't usually a lot of witnesses
around . And of the ones that will admit to being in the locale , most
"din't see anything" .

Terry, just a thought on the problem of children/ animals becoming
lodged in the cages for condensers. Why not tack weld hardware cloth
(1/2" square) on the inside of the cages? It will keep kids, animals
and trash out of the cage.

Jim