Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default (in North-East USA): Must *every* leaf be blown from lawn?

clipped

I like clover. My rabbits like clover. My neighbors, mostly retired
'more power' types, not so much. They keep offering to treat my lawn
to kill it, along with the dandelions. They didn't take it kindly when
I told them that as long as it was green and held the dirt down, I
didn't really care what it was. I'd love to go to a 'no upkeep' yard,
but realistically, in a subdivision, even without an HOA, it ain't
gonna happen. All it take is one neighbor with a day-glo green lawn
calling the township about 'noxious weeds', and you have a feud going
on. (See my message upthread about the neighbor who told me I should
take trees out to cut down on raking.)

They Just Don't Get It.

--
aem sends...

My introduction to lawn care was when my husband was the "building
manager" for our condo. We rehabbed a very
badly neglected lawn - loads of weeds, large dead areas due to broken
down irrig. system, and very lazy unit
owners. It doesn't take a huge effort to get rid of lots of weeds....in
our case, one application of broadleaf weed
killer got most of them. Crabgrass is another story. With proper
mowing and watering, the lawn can almost
take care of itself. Mow higher during hot, dry weather, etc. I have
lots better things to do than watch the grass
grow, so we researched products and gen'l. care and spent as little
money as possible. On the water, so we
didn't want chemicals washing into the channel. I like clover,
too......mebbe overtreating those kinds of plants
has something to do with bees disappearing - once had a backyard loaded
with them.