Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default (in North-East USA): Must *every* leaf be blown from lawn?

Harry K wrote:
On Nov 30, 6:50 am, aemeijers wrote:
Steve Barker DLT wrote:
Actually, mulching them in is better for the lawn. Getting rid of them is
NOT necessary at all.

Depends how many trees you have. If I didn't clear the first few layers
out, my back yard would die entirely. I mulched the final layer, going
back and forth enough times so some green was showing through the brown.

For the sake of neighborhood peace, I did rake and blow the front. Old
fart across the street told me I should take out half the trees in back,
to save time raking.

Thank heavens I have a treeline in back to pile up the leaves, so
disposal isn't a problem. From just 3 previous years of doing that, the
mulch back there is over ankle deep.

--
aem sends....

There are two different styles of "mulch". One is to pile the leaves
around trees, shrubs, etc. The other is to put in a "mulching plug"
in your lawn mower and chop them up by mowing over them as they lay.
Most of the 'mulch' suggestions in the thread refer to the latter.

I have used the latter method since 1976 at times with leaves higher
than the entire mower. Takes multiple passes but when done the lawn
has a 'salt and pepper' appearance and a day later nothing shows.
Leaves need to be dry for the best resultss though.

Harry K

My mower IS a mulcher- no side discharge at all. It does have a rear
bagger that has never been used. To mulch each layer as it falls would
take mowing 2-3 times a week at the peak of the drop season. That ain't
gonna happen, and I happened to be out of town the week most of them
came down this year anyway.

Gotta do SOME blowing and raking anyway, for the places the mower can't
fit, and around the shed and such. The layer I mulched this year took 2
weeks to sink in and break up. Like I said, if I mulched it all, the
grass would suffocate, just like it does in the woods. (My backyard is
pretty shady other than in winter.)

--
aem sends...