Posted to alt.home.repair
larry moe 'n curly larry moe 'n curly is offline

Default Power drill/driver

Harlan Messinger wrote:

I've accepted that my power drill/driver disappeared last year, though
I've still got one battery and the charger. I need to decide what kind
of replacement to get.

Do I need 18V? I assume not. My intended uses are in the home, including
renovation: putting up drywall, mounting cabinet doors. I doubt I'll
want to drill masonry on my own. I also assume I don't want a hammer driver.

Of what's available at Home Depot or Lowe's, what's recommended? What
considerations are there? Some of the products are distinguish from each
other only by features whose usefulness to me I can't ascertain.

Why didn't you buy the Ryobi 18V drill/circular saw/lamp/vacuum
cleaner/one battery combination for $60 on Black Friday at Home Depot
(not crowded) and get the in-store coupon for one free Ryobi 18V
device worth up to $89.95, such as two battery packs or a cordless
hammer drill w/ one battery?

An 18V Ryobis aren't as powerful as 14-18V drills from DeWalt, Porter
Cable, Hitachi, Makita, Bosch, Ridgid, or Panasonic, but they cost
less and have 2-year warranties (get a model with the shiftable
gearbox, not the one-speed gearbox, which is worse -- both types have
infinite electronic speed selection). Ridgid power tools are
warranted for life, including the battery.

If you have 120VAC available and you don't need to drill in a steam
bath or while standing in water or an aluminum ladder, why not get a
corded drill instead? A really good one costs less than a cheap
cordless.