Posted to sci.electronics.repair
DaveM DaveM is offline

Default Heathkit v7a vtvm battery

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 16:15:50 -0500, "DaveM"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Here's a quickie regulator that should give you something close to 1.5VDC.

View in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

+---+ 1N4001 TIP29
| | +-----++ C E 1.5VDC
| +---+ |+---+-----+-----\ /---------+-------o
| | +-----++ | | \ / |
6.3VAC| |+ +++ --+-- |
| | -+- | | B | |
| | 50uF -+- | | +-----+ |
| +---+ | | |1k | | |+
| | | -+- +++ | | -+-
+---+ | Gnd | | | -+-
-+- +--------+ | | 10uF
Gnd | |+ |
| -+- |
+++ -+- |
| | | 10uF |
1N4001 | | | |
+-+ | -+-
+++ | Gnd
| |
+-+ |
| | -+-
1N4001 | | Gnd
+-+
+++

-+-
Gnd

AISI, that will give you an output of only 0.6V, ie two diode drops
minus the Vbe junction voltage. Replacing one of the 1N4001 diodes
with a red LED should get you closer to the mark.

- Franc Zabkar

Thanks for catching that error, Frank. I was going to copy & paste two more
diodes but the phone rang and I forgot. I hit the send button while the phone
was hung out of my ear. Never try to multitask while one of the tasks is
talking on the phone.. never works!!!

Using an LED will work too... thanks for the suggestion.
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in the

Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer it gets to the end, the faster
it goes.