Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do I need a garage subpanel?

"The Reverend Natural Light" wrote in message
I need a 240v outlet right now, and I want to do a full rewire of the
garage in the near future. A subpanel sounds like a really neat
idea. The main panel is just about full already and I just like the
idea of a separate panel in the garage.

But,

A. It looks like it's going to cost a lot.

B. I really don't know what I'm doing.

If it's the right way to go, I'll learn how to do it right and spend
the cash.

Alternative: I've seen those 2-circuit-1-slot breakers. If I take a
few of the existing circuits on the main panel and switch them over to
those, it'll open up enough space for a 240v breaker for the MIG
welder and a few 20amp circuits so my air compressor will quit making
the lights go out. Wiring that up is within my existing knowledge.

Is that a half assed solution? Sometimes the simple route is the
best, but it's my house and I want it done right.

If you plan on adding more circuits to the garage I would say that a
sub-panel is the way to go. This has been discussed many times in this
newsgroup. Do a search in Google to find past discussions. Maybe you can
find an electrician who will work with you and let you do some of the work.
You can only use twin circuit breakers in panels that have been approved for
them. Read the labels on your panel to see if they are permitted. I
strongly suggest that you get a permit and have an inspection by your town
for this project.

If you post some pictures and more details about the garage and location we
can probably give you better information.