Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default (in North-East USA): Must *every* leaf be blown from lawn?

On Nov 30, 6:50*am, aemeijers wrote:
Steve Barker DLT wrote:
Actually, mulching them in is better for the lawn. *Getting rid of them is
NOT necessary at all.

Depends how many trees you have. If I didn't clear the first few layers
out, my back yard would die entirely. I mulched the final layer, going
back and forth enough times so some green was showing through the brown.

For the sake of neighborhood peace, I did rake and blow the front. Old
fart across the street told me I should take out half the trees in back,
to save time raking.

Thank heavens I have a treeline in back to pile up the leaves, so
disposal isn't a problem. From just 3 previous years of doing that, the
mulch back there is over ankle deep.

--
aem sends....

There are two different styles of "mulch". One is to pile the leaves
around trees, shrubs, etc. The other is to put in a "mulching plug"
in your lawn mower and chop them up by mowing over them as they lay.
Most of the 'mulch' suggestions in the thread refer to the latter.

I have used the latter method since 1976 at times with leaves higher
than the entire mower. Takes multiple passes but when done the lawn
has a 'salt and pepper' appearance and a day later nothing shows.
Leaves need to be dry for the best resultss though.

Harry K