Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Power drill/driver

On Nov 29, 12:19*pm, Harlan Messinger
wrote:
I've accepted that my power drill/driver disappeared last year, though
I've still got one battery and the charger. I need to decide what kind
of replacement to get.

Do I need 18V? I assume not. My intended uses are in the home, including
renovation: putting up drywall, mounting cabinet doors. I doubt I'll
want to drill masonry on my own. I also assume I don't want a hammer driver.

Of what's available at Home Depot or Lowe's, what's recommended? What
considerations are there? Some of the products are distinguish from each
other only by features whose usefulness to me I can't ascertain.

One nice feature is a light that illuminates the surface you are
drilling, the ridgid I have has a light but it misses my work area,
some new Liion have a battery gauge. With 2 speed for home use the
smallest unit works, my 3v screwdriver still gets worked since its
light and so does my cheapo 4.8v B&D and I have 12 and 18v heavy
stuff. If its going to be real occasional use LiIon might not be good
for you as I have heard batteries last 2-4 years, just like your cell
phone. I have old Makita packs from 1984 that are finally dead and
many from the 90s that still work so LiIon hasnt passed the longevity
test yet. For someone that uses a tool every day LiIon may be great
but a replacement 18v LiIon Ridgid battery the one with most amps is
like 110.00 with tax, the tool was maybe only 120 with the smaller amp
18v LiIon. So you get the tool for free these days but pay retail for
new batteries.