Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Nahmie Nahmie is offline

Default What is it? Set 260

On Nov 30, 9:07*am, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message
* Take a good look next time you see a parked semi-truck . Namy are using
tubeless tires and solid rims now , just like their smaller cousins . I
believe radial tires are what makes this possible , because of the more
flexible sidewalls .

Sunofagun. *Just when ya think ya knows something, someone comes along and
tells ya that ya don't. *I hate it when that happens. *I really was not
aware that the big trucks got away from split rims.

Some trailers no longer have a dual wheel/tire but one big wide-ass tire
instead.

They got away from the split rims for safety purposes too. Many people
injured/killed when servicing the split rims, becdause the ring would
come loose under pressure. Most either used a safety cage when
inflating them or put the ring side down.

Those big tires are called "super singles", and are OK for some
things, but they're terrible in snow country or even in fresh rain
with a light load. Some outfits use them on the drive axles of the
tractors, and they'll spin loose real easy.
Norm