Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus13690 Ignoramus13690 is offline

Default The lesson from the Mumbai mayhem

On 2008-11-29, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
I'm red faced to have to admit that the first "lesson" I learned several
hours into the TV coverage of that horrible mess was that Mumbai is the
post-colonial name for the city I grew up knowing as Bombay.

I kept asking the thirteen or so folks we were over for a Thanksgiving
Day lunch feast, "How come I never heard of Mumbai, India?", and none of
the others were familiar that place name either.

I guess maybe because the two names are so close phonetically, We'd all
been hearing "Bombay" when someone said "Mumbai" and it was only when
text kept appearing on the Fox News TV coverage that we started wondering.

Anyone else care to fess up to the same chauvinistic failure in being up
to date?

I was similarly confused aboput Mumbai/Bombay a few years ago.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/