Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Do I need a garage subpanel?

"The Reverend Natural Light" wrote in message
I need a 240v outlet right now, and I want to do a full rewire of the
garage in the near future. A subpanel sounds like a really neat
idea. The main panel is just about full already and I just like the
idea of a separate panel in the garage.

But,

A. It looks like it's going to cost a lot.

B. I really don't know what I'm doing.

If it's the right way to go, I'll learn how to do it right and spend
the cash.

Alternative: I've seen those 2-circuit-1-slot breakers. If I take a
few of the existing circuits on the main panel and switch them over to
those, it'll open up enough space for a 240v breaker for the MIG
welder and a few 20amp circuits so my air compressor will quit making
the lights go out. Wiring that up is within my existing knowledge.

Is that a half assed solution? Sometimes the simple route is the
best, but it's my house and I want it done right.

There is nothing wrong with either solution. Typical modern panel is
designed to take either full sized breakers, or depending upon the model, a
combination of full and half sized breakers. It should spell this out on the
inside of the panel door. If you want or need more circuits and possible
future circuits in or near the garage, then install a sub. It's really no
more difficult than running any other circuit, except the cable will be
larger