Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Power drill/driver

"Twayne" wrote in message
I've accepted that my power drill/driver disappeared last year, though
I've still got one battery and the charger. I need to decide what kind
of replacement to get.

Do I need 18V? I assume not. My intended uses are in the home,
including renovation: putting up drywall, mounting cabinet doors. I
doubt I'll want to drill masonry on my own. I also assume I don't want a
hammer
driver.
Of what's available at Home Depot or Lowe's, what's recommended? What
considerations are there? Some of the products are distinguish from
each other only by features whose usefulness to me I can't ascertain.

IMO:
-- variable speed
-- Two max speeds (drill bits and screw bits)
-- Reversible
-- Nice if there's a stop clutch to stop spinning upon release of trigger
-- Two batteries (one in use, one charging)
-- Variable Clutch
-- No key chuck needed to change bits/drivers.

My last driver drill has those features & it's the best I ever had.

I have been using Ryobi for several years with good luck..For the occasional
around the house use it's more than enough...No need to spend big bucks
unless you feel the need to impress someone. I bought a whole box full of
Ryobi cordless tools for what you would spend for just the Makita or DeWalt
drill/driver and it all works fine... I especially like the cordless sawzall
and skillsaw...It great not having to drag a cord out for a couple of
cuts...I have the 18 volt stuff....