Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default OT - Is it really worth saving any more?

Lew Hodgett wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote:

And society benefits in what way from people going around carrying
firearms that they have never shot?

I guess you assume they will never be shot.

So how many people do you think are going to practice regularly at 10
bucks a shot?

As far as benefits are concerned, guess it depends on your
definition
of "benefits".

A few less innocent people being shot might be a start.

Uh, why will a 10 buck a shot tax on ammunition result in "a few less
innocent people being shot"?

And how much do you think those "proceeds" would be and what
percentage of the efforts of typical law enforcement agencies do
you
believe to be devoted to "cleaning up the mess after a shooting"?

I really don't care, anything would be more than exists now.

So you believe that police work for free? Or is it that you believe
that they have no budget for prosecuting persons who shoot others?

And would you regulate the possession of discarded wheel
weights?

Hazmat regulations have made the casual acquisition of lead all but
impossible.

Oh? So what does happen to discarded wheel weights?

The last 20,000 lbs of shooting range lead I recovered for a boat
ballast was a total PITA.

Digging up a range is a bit different from emptying the barrel behind
the tire store.

Much more difficult than 10 years earlier.

Would not have been possible without my industrial contacts.

Uh huh.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)