Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - Is it really worth saving any more?

jo4hn wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
jo4hn wrote:

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Subject

As this is being typed the news is coming in that gunman have entered
a Toys-R-Us store in Palm Desert, Ca (about 100 miles east of downtown
L/A), and are shooting up the place.

Too early for casualty reports.

The mess in India continues.

What the hell is this world coming to?

Lew

Read up on it at

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,5989270.story

Good heavens! Could a newspaper story be any more sensationalized?
Whatever happened to just reporting the facts? Whoever wrote this
intended to make it sound like a movie scene.

No wonder the dead tree media is on its way downhill.

Several clues as to what transpired, who was involved, and the fact
that
more gun laws probably wouldn't have had any sort of impact:

"... a dispute between two couples who had 'previous hostility.'"

"... pulling the grip from his baggy pants pocket."

" ... Even after the shooting, one woman was still screaming
angrily. ... "I'm going to . . . kill you right now!" she shouted,
slamming her fists on the car. "I'm going to kill you! Yeah, you!" "

Not a lot to go on, but one can make some inferences. Of course the
reporters don't provide any additional context, they were too busy
writing their Hollywood script.

We definitely need more guns. Worked real good for Beirut, eh?

and what part of "It's a miracle that these were the only two people
killed, given it was a crowded toy store." is so difficult for you to
understand.

Ya know, I didn't miss that. I get that, nowhere in my commentary above
did I minimize that. I took exception to the sensationalism, not the
incident.

Two knuckleheads with guns shooting in a crowded store and
you are whining about the "sensationalized" writeup. You have truly
lost your soul somewhere.

Oh, BS. The actual facts should have been enough. Two idiots chasing
each other through a crowded store shooting at each other is a terrible
thing. I get that. What I don't get is why the LAT spent most of the
writeup with superfluous tripe like, " Most shoppers headed to the Toys R
Us in Palm Desert on Friday morning clutching their "door buster" ads and
their shopping lists. At least two men walked into the busy store armed
with their guns." instead of providing some detail on who those two men
were. Were they gang-bangers? Did they have prior arrests? Were they
just peaceful law-abiding citizens for whom something just snapped? Why
were the two couples feuding? Again, was there a gang connection, or was
it just neighbors who had a running dispute? You know, those would have
been kind of pertinent facts. Please don't try the excuse that it's only
been a little while and the facts aren't available yet. It took less time
for the media to have the complete life history of Joe the Plumber.

I've lost my soul? BS -- it's papers and reporters like the LAT that have
lost theirs.

j4