Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Power drill/driver

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in
:

"Harlan Messinger" wrote in
message ...
I've accepted that my power drill/driver disappeared last year,
though I've still got one battery and the charger. I need to decide
what kind of replacement to get.

Do I need 18V? I assume not. My intended uses are in the home,
including renovation: putting up drywall, mounting cabinet doors. I
doubt I'll want to drill masonry on my own. I also assume I don't
want a hammer driver.

Of what's available at Home Depot or Lowe's, what's recommended? What
considerations are there? Some of the products are distinguish from
each other only by features whose usefulness to me I can't ascertain.

Depends on how you actually use the tool. IMO, 18V stuff is just too
heavy for 95% of typical homeowner use. I have a 15.6V Panasonic that
I love because of the weight/power ratio. I bought a 12V Rigid for
one of the guys to use in the shop where he was going to be working on
a ladder or lift. Plenty of power for driving small sheet metal screws
and gets the job done for $49.

isn't there one brand that offers free replacement battery packs?
Ryobi?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik