Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default OT - Is it really worth saving any more?

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Larry Blanchard wrote:

Good idea in principle, Han, but I doubt it'd keep any firearms out
of
the possession of criminals. All it would do is penalize the
honest
citizen.

Don't even try to regulate the sale of any type of firearms, rather
impose a $10.00/cartridge tax at the point of sale.

And society benefits in what way from people going around carrying
firearms that they have never shot?

Utilize the proceeds to cover the cost of law enforcement agencies
who
have to clean up the mess after a shooting.

And how much do you think those "proceeds" would be and what
percentage of the efforts of typical law enforcement agencies do you
believe to be devoted to "cleaning up the mess after a shooting"?

And yes, still have my dad's model 12 and a few other long gun type
pieces.

Which presumably you've never shot if you don't have any problem with
a box of shells costing 250 bucks.

By the way, how much tax would you charge on a can of powder or a box
of primers? And would you regulate the possession of discarded wheel
weights?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)