Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Power drill/driver

On Nov 29, 12:19*pm, Harlan Messinger
wrote:
I've accepted that my power drill/driver disappeared last year, though
I've still got one battery and the charger. I need to decide what kind
of replacement to get.

Do I need 18V? I assume not. My intended uses are in the home, including
renovation: putting up drywall, mounting cabinet doors. I doubt I'll
want to drill masonry on my own. I also assume I don't want a hammer driver.

Of what's available at Home Depot or Lowe's, what's recommended? What
considerations are there? Some of the products are distinguish from each
other only by features whose usefulness to me I can't ascertain.

There are tool reviews from a few places like Consumer Reports,
Popular Mechanics and more. If I was looking I would consider a kit
where you get many tools. Maybe Ryobi the line has the most tools.
LiIon wont last as many years as Nicad but are lighter. I had a 9.6v
Makita that did all I ever needed till it was stolen. HD Ridgid brand
has a lifetime warranty even on batteries, thats what I went to. For
around home 12v is more than enough and I find myself picking the
lighest tool most often a 9.6v. There are some real small, ight, LiIon
mini tools that are nice. B&D is not going to do much work before its
broke. Getsomething that the batteries and charger work with other
tools, a Ridgid charger charges 9.6 up to 18v, im sure other companies
offer this.