Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default OT - Is it really worth saving any more?

Han wrote:
Mike Marlow wrote in
:

And those restrictions (not arguing their merit), would do
precisely
what(?) to prevent these types of incidents?

Well, where do the guns to commit crimes come from? If everyone has
guns, then it is easy to steal some. If not everyone has guns, and
those that do lock them up well, then (maybe) there will be fewer
guns to commit crimes with.

Lock it up as well as you want to, if someone wants it they will steal
it. Pass a chain through a window, run it around the gun safe, hook
it to the trailer hitch on your truck, drive away, and the safe comes
right out, through the wall. Toss it in your truck and drive off and
open it at your leisure.

Then there are the firearms that disappear from police evidence
lockups.

Then there are the ones that come in with the drugs.

Do you really feel that
the perpetrators of this type of crime worry about legal posession
of
a gun?

No I don't think the bad guys worry about legal possession, but see
above.

What of it? Iraq was a police state before the US invaded, and yet it
seems, despite Saddam's best efforts before the US arrived and the US
military occupation's best efforts since, that any Iraqi who wants a
gun (or bomb or RPG or just about any other kind of weapon) has one.

Sorry Han, but this is more of the same reactive sort of
thinking that does nothing to benefit a matter, but does a lot to
impare those who aren't your typical, or even your remotely typical
culprit.

Sorry, I can't quite follow what you're trying to say.

Let me just paraphrase what's happened in NYC a numbver of years
back.
Police were told to get after farejumpers (people who didn't pay the
fare for the subway, mainly). This way a lot of people left their
illegal weapons at home, after they or their friends had them nabbed
by the police. Either as a result, or because of changing
demographics or because of other reasons, the crime rate went down.
I happen to believe that nabbing bad guys had something to do with
it. So good laws and good law enforcement will help. It's not the
whole thing, of course. And laws like the voting/literacy laws were
not good laws.

Nabbing bad guys is fine. But I don't see what it has to do with
guns.

I'll crawl back into my hole now ...

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate